Peasant Soup


I got a new cookbook! The Family Cooks by Laurie David. I have made so many amazing recipes and just love this book. One of my favorite recipes is the individual lasagnas. I would say that this soup recipe is my FAV from the book so far.


I have made some changes..additions really. The soup is very forgiving and amazingly yummy.


Peasant Soup

1 medium onion 
4 cloves garlic
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large carrot, sliced thin (my addition)
1/2 cup pink lentils ( I have not used)
2/3 cup semi-pearled farro (I used whole farro and soaked it overnight)
2/3 cup pearled barley
6 cups chicken broth (original recipe says 4)
Salt and Pepper to taste

I cook the veggies until starting to soften. Then I remove them and add the chicken broth to the pot. Bring to boil and follow the times and additions below.

I add:
1/4 cup brown rice. Set timer for 50 minutes
2/3 cup pearled barley at 45 minutes
1/4 cup black rice at 40 minutes
2/3 cup farro (and lentils) at 15 minutes
1/4 cup rinsed quinoa at 15 minutes

Simmer until tender. Add veggies and season as needed with salt and pepper. I have added orzo to this also! Anything goes. So yummy. Farro can be purchase at the health food store. I keep mine in the freezer. It is really good in this soup.



Comments