Dance Camp Oatmeal



Years ago I went to a week long family dance camp in upper Idaho. The camp was set on Lake Coeur d'Alene. Breathtakingly beautiful area. The camp was set up for meals family style and for breakfast every morning there was an oatmeal bar. The oatmeal was amazing with toppings like brown sugar, yogurt, granola, and fruit. I got the recipe and it has been one of my go to brunch recipes ever sense. Through the years I have added, tweaked and enjoyed this recipe. My latest tweaking is found below. Although different I will always refer to this as family camp oatmeal.



1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup bulgar wheat
1/4 cup pearled barley
6 cups water

Add above and boil 10 minutes. Then add:
1/2 cup rolled wheat or rolled triticule flakes
1/4 cup rinsed quinoa

Boil for 10 minutes. Then add:
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats

Cook till thick about 5 minutes. This makes quite a bit but I like to put it in the fridge and use it everyday until it is gone. It reheats well with a little liquid added.

I like mine with brown sugar and a tad of cream. But yogurt and granola are great on it also.

Comments