ABC Crackle Cookie Challenge

I love a good challenge. I especially love a food challenge. I have done some that I have blogged about but most of the time when I am cooking I just go crazy and make 2 of things..soup, salad dressings..you name it. I love to know which is better. I have done a coconut cake challenge, brownie challenge, a funny bread challenge, and now this crinkle/crackle cookie challenge with my ABC baking group. Cookie 1 recipe comes from Scientifically Sweet. I have another recipe that I have used for years and was excited to make both recipes and see which one is better.

On the right (in this photo) we have the scientifically sweet cookie and the left my Crockett Chocolate Crinkle recipe. I got that recipe when we first got married at a church potluck. It is sentimental.

Helpful hint: All cookies that needed to be rolled never made my list to make. Too much work! But I found that I could put all the rolled cookies in a huge bowl and rolled them around all at one time. Presto! all done in one quick shake.

On the left in this photo we see the scientifically sweet. The powdered sugar doesn't stick as well..it sinks into the cookie while cooking. Both are beautiful and bake nicely. Both smell divine. I have been loving cookies on Mel's Kitchen Cafe blog but didn't see a crinkle cookie recipe or would have made three batches. The craziness here is that one of the other ABC bakers, Karin. talked about a rye cookie recipe. I just pulled those out of the oven too! It is a sickness this baking challenge of mine.

Blind taste testers:
MT: Cookie 2 Loved my original recipe. She said it is "So much better than the other one"
JT: Cookie 1 (Scientifically sweet recipe) "This rocked my world..it tastes more expensive. Is it?"
CT: Cookie 2. I love the powdered sugar one! Original recipe.
ST:  Cookie 2. I like the one with more powdered sugar. Original recipe.
ME: Why would I make the crinkle cookie now that I have had the rye cookie?

Salted Chocolate-Rye Cookies

Yield: 4 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes, plus chilling time
  • INGREDIENTS
  • 1 lb chopped bittersweet chocolate (70%), (I used 5 bars of LINDT)
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    ¾ cup whole-grain dark rye flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    ½ teaspoon fine salt
    4 large eggs, at room temperature
    1½ cups muscovado sugar ( I used 1 1/2 cup brown sugar and 3 TB molasses)
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
     flaky fleur de sel, for topping
DIRECTIONS 
1. Melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the rye flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
3. Place the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip on medium-high speed, adding the sugar a little bit at a time, until all the sugar is incorporated. Turn the mixer to high and whip until the eggs have nearly tripled in volume, about 6 minutes.
4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the melted chocolate-butter mixture and the vanilla. Mix to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, then add in the flour mixture just until combined. At this point the dough will be very soft and loose, which is normal; it will firm up as it chills.
5. Refrigerate dough until it just firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. 

6. Place rolled balls 2 inches apart. Top each mound of dough with a few flakes of sea salt, pressing gently so it adheres.
7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (I baked for 12 min), until the cookies have completely puffed up and have a smooth bottom and rounded top. Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let cool slightly (the cookies may flatten a bit), then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. The cookies with keep up to 3 days in an airtight container. (cookies will be gone and you will not need to store)

Comments