Pancake Tuesday Baked Malted Waffles

 For my baking group I made these waffles and they continue to be a favorite. We sure love them. Love the malt powder flavor. See what other bakers had to say at Baked Sunday Mornings. MMM Waffle Love.

 Malted Waffles

Source Baked Explorations (makes 10 waffles).

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup malt powder
  • 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • Maple syrup, butter and / or chocolate chips for serving

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees (that’s if you want to keep them warm after you cook them; or you can do what I do and serve them up hot out of the waffle maker for each person individually). Prepare a waffle iron with cooking spray or vegetable oil per the manufacturer’s instructions.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, malt powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs slightly, add the buttermilk and butter, and whisk again.
  3. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the buttermilk mixture into it. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ever so gently until just combined–there will be some visible lumps. Cook the waffles according to the manufacturer’s instructions for your iron. Generally speaking, you will use 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter per waffle (depending on the size of your waffle iron). Cook the waffles until they are golden brown or a little darker. Transfer to a rack in your oven to keep warm or eat them right away with maple syrup, butter and chocolate chips.

Comments

Vicki said…
Hi Virginia!

Remember me from forever ago when we baked from the Heavenly Cakes book?
These just look and sound so scrumptious. I have loved malt since enjoying fruited malt bread in the U.K. during college. Do you remember the name of the guy I went to hear give a lecture on food and sent you his book? I can't for the life of me remember. Glad to see you still bake and cook amazing things. Your children are growing up so quickly! I'm definitely trying these waffles.
Vicki! Remember you I adore you. It is Harold McGee..my cherished book! I have another diner pancake recipe that uses malt as the sweetener..those are amazing also. I LOVE malt, just not in my milk shakes. Glad to hear from you friend.
Vicki said…
Thank you! Now that I found your blog again, I'll be vicariously enjoying your treats! The reason I need Harold McGee is to see if he has anything to say about cocoa powder. Evidently, it can dry out cakes, etc if extra moisture is not added or the same amount of flour subtracted to compensate. Who knew?!