Baked Gingersnaps with Lemon Sugar


I wanted to make these for my "Baked" baking group in January but alas...life happened. So when my friend at work suggested we order out for lunch, I saw the need to make them for dessert for our lunch. Amazing cookie! 
I was so excited to have one when I got home from work. Sadly, they were all gone! The next day I saw that my middle daughter had a stash of 3 cookies. Well, I bought one of these cookies for a dollar. It was worth every cent. My daughter says these are so good we need to make them every week. 
I really started to think about other cookies that I love. Not just like or crave but LOVE. I thought of Mayan Mystery Cookies and Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. I realize I must love ginger and chocolate.


Gingersnaps with Lemon Sugar

Ingredients
For the Lemon Sugar
  • ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
  • Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
For the Gingersnaps
  • 1¼ cups (250 g) granulated sugar
  • ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon (195 ml) canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon (75 ml) molasses
  • 2 2⁄3 cups (340 g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground allspice
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Instructions
Make the Lemon Sugar
  1. Place the sugar in a small shallow bowl. Sprinkle the zest over the sugar. Use your fingers to rub the lemon zest and sugar together.
Make the Gingersnaps
  1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and canola oil until combined. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk to combine. Add the molasses and whisk to combine.
  3. In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using your (very clean) hands, combine the dry and wet ingredients together in the bowl, kneading as necessary.
  5. Scoop and roll the dough into balls about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter.
  6. Roll them in the lemon sugar to coat and place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1½ inches (4 cm) apart.
  7. For soft cookies, bake 12 to 15 minutes; for a cookie that is crunchy on the outside yet soft on the inside, bake 15 to 20 minutes.
  8. Remove the sheets from the oven and place them on cooling racks. Serve warm or transfer the cookies directly to the racks to cool.

Comments

Sadie just told me she can't last another day without a gingersnap cookie!!
Mendy said…
ב''ה

What a great looking flavor combo.

Keep it up! :)

All the best,
Mendy