Baked S’More-Style Chocolate Whiskey Pudding

Another adventure in cooking with my Baked Sunday Mornings group. This recipe, specifically the graham cracker layer, was intoxicating. We all could not get enough of this stuff and the aroma stopped me in my tracks. The graham cracker layer is baked solo then cooled to make a crunchy perfection.

Pudding is made on the stove top. I didn't have whiskey so I substituted rum.  My girls thought that was hilarious. We are not a drinking family and they had wide eyes when I said it had rum as an ingredient. Then of course everyone quoted, "But why's the rum gone", from Pirates.

The layers were beautiful. I used whipping cream for the marshmallow layer because I am without a torch. But tomorrow is my birthday so I am hoping that I will be getting a torch!!

When asked if I wanted a homemade cake for my birthday, I said "No". I want pudding. So we celebrated (early) with pudding.  For me, the name s'more brings up camping and open fires thoughts.

Wouldn't it have been great to have this s'more pudding instead of the gooey messy smores we just had on our camping adventure last week? I think yes. Even though we did have roasted marshmallows on Samoas. Which really takes the s'more up a notch. This pudding is a whole new level of comfort food.

 Family photo taken at Valley of Fire, Nevada this past week on our camping adventure.

Loving our adventures, in and out of the kitchen.


S’more-Style Chocolate Whiskey Pudding

Yield: 6 servings (It was very rich, I think 8 smaller servings would be better)

For the Graham Cracker Crust
4 1/2 whole graham crackers), coarsely broken
1 ounce (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

For the Chocolate Whiskey Pudding
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa powder (like Valrhona)
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I used 1/2 tea decaf)
Pinch of salt
3 large egg yolks
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
8 ounces good-quality bittersweet chocolate (54 to 60%), coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons good-quality whiskey (I used 1 Tb rum)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature

For the Marshmallow Topping
2 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/4 teaspoon good-quality whiskey

Make the Graham Cracker Crust
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Put the graham crackers, butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Turn the crumbs out onto the prepared baking sheet, spread to form an even layer (if necessary, break up any large pieces with your fingertips), and bake stirring once, until the crumbs are crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Make the Chocolate Whiskey Pudding
In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and salt. Add the egg yolks and whisk to blend (the mixture will resemble wet sand). Gradually whisk in the milk, then the cream. Place the saucepan over medium heat, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds, remove from the heat, and continue to whisk for 15 seconds to release excess heat. Add the chocolate, whiskey, and butter; whisk until the chocolate and butter are melted and the mixture is smooth. Let the pudding cool slightly, about 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.

Assemble the pudding
Spoon 1/3 cup of pudding into each of six (small and wide or sundae-like) 1-cup glasses; smooth out the tops. Divide the graham cracker mixture equally among the glasses, sprinkling it on top of the pudding. Top each glass with another 1/3 cup pudding; smooth out the tops. Cover each glass with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic directly onto the pudding. Chill at least 2 hours, until ready to serve.

Make the Marshmallow Topping
In the heatproof bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites, sugar, 1/4 cup of water, corn syrup, and whiskey. Set the mixer bowl with egg white mixture over a saucepan of simmering water. Using hand whisk, whisk the mixture constantly until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the mixture registers 160 degrees F, about 6 minutes. Return the mixer bowl with the egg white mixture to the stand mixer (still fitted with the whisk attachment) and beat on high speed until the marshmallow topping forms stiff peaks, 6 to 8 minutes.
Top each chilled pudding with 2 large spoonfuls of marshmallow topping, covering the top of the pudding completely and creating peaks, if desired.

Use a kitchen torch to lightly toast the topping to your liking. Serve immediately.

Comments

Unknown said…
Love the name of your blog! Whipped cream is a good idea too! Your trip in Nevada looks like lots of fun. Very similar to some of the views here in Israel!
Unknown said…
Happy Birthday! I think these would also be great topped with whipped cream!
Thanks Robyn!! It is a good day to be younger!
Sheri said…
Happy birthday and love the camping photos! Yes. Pudding is better than cake.
Susan said…
Happy Birthday, Virginia!

I would have preferred whipped cream - the marshmallow topping was too sweet.

I'm so excited to get started on the new book!
Happy Birthday! And what a great looking pudding to have to celebrate it with!
Love your camping pics.
Liz said…
Beautiful pictures, and happy birthday!
Anonymous said…
Happy (late) Birthday! I have an October birthday and I say I have a "birthday month." Your pudding looks awesome and I bet it was great with whipped cream. :)
Anonymous said…
Happy (late) Birthday! I have an October birthday and I say I have a "birthday month." Your pudding looks awesome and I bet it was great with whipped cream. :)