Bran Dinner Rolls

MMMM fresh rolls. I love them. There is something amazing about the smell coming from the kitchen when rolls are baking. I think it is the roll that makes Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner special. These bran rolls are so tender and tasty. I have had the recipe in my 3 X 5 box for so long and have no idea the original source. I have been making them for years. Red Barn jam is my favorite! Yum. Not that these rolls need anything else because they are divine on their very own.

Bran Dinner Rolls

1 Tb yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup wheat bran (oat bran is great also)
3/4 tea salt
1 egg
3-4  cups flour

Mix warm water and yeast and let soften for 5 minutes. Mix boiling water and shortening in the mixer. Add sugar, bran, and salt and let cool a bit. Add 1 egg and yeast mixture with 2 cups flour. Add rest of flour while mixer is on 1/2 cup at a time. When it is a soft but not sticky dough, knead on floured surface (I mix in my mixer for 5 minutes). Place in greased bowl and let raise covered 1 1/2 hours. Divide into 24 small rolls or 12 large rolls. Let rest 10 minutes. Shape as desired and bake 375 degrees for 15 minutes.

Comments