Fast and Reliable Pie Baked Sunday Mornings

In baking for Baked Sunday Mornings this time, I deviated from the book and  I used another recipe for the crust because I did not have time to wait 30 minutes while the crust chilled. When that happens I use my fallback recipe. It lacks flavor but wow does it hold up to any kind of filling. It is very quick and easy..and if it breaks..its okay..just press it back together.

It is a moist pie crust and does better when rolled into the pie plate rather than folded and put in.

This recipe for Buttermilk Pie (recipe) was easy to whip up.

The directions were easy to follow...as is typical of these cookbooks.

I wondered why we should add flour before the filling..anyone?

I also was shocked when I put the pie in the oven to discover that I had forgotten one of the main ingredients!! The maple syrup was sitting on my counter. So I whisked it in..in the pie shell and added another 1/2 tea of flour to the top.


I needed to cook the pie an extra 20 minutes! The center was still very wet. I finally just pulled it out and hoped it would firm up while cooling. It did which made me wonder if I had over cooked it! 


It really was a mellow and wonderful pie. It is humble!! A quick dessert if you needed something fast and reliable. If you have time, check out what my fellow bakers thought of this.

Comments

Candy said…
I loved this humble pie! I think the flour on the bottom may have been to help the bottom crust not get soggy?

I'll have to check out your fallback pie crust!
Anonymous said…
Looks wonderful! Glad you caught the maple syrup before it went into the oven. :)
erinstar41 said…
Your pie looks great - love that polka dot plate!
Your pie looked like it turned out great, so glad it worked out with the maple syrup!
Elaine said…
Your pie looks delicious. We could really taste the maple syrup in ours, so I wonder if adding it later made a difference. You must have been able to taste the buttermilk more which is also so good.
Chelly said…
That looks yummy! I didn't make this one...now I am sorry I didn't! Good job!
Your pie looks great. I was afraid of forgetting something!
Sheri said…
Good save! It looks perfect. I'm known to leave out ingredients on occasion, too.
After reading everyone posts...I see I was not the only one who had a greasy oven floor afterwards...and a smoky house!
Thanks for stopping by. It is so fun to have so many baking friends making the same thing!
Ben said…
Looks great! I hope one day that I have made enough pies to say that I have a "fall back recipe" for a pie crust!
margot said…
Great save with the maple syrup! I will have to check out your pie crust recipe; I wasn't particularly impressed with the one in in the book.