Lion House (Black or White) Rice Pudding



My second year in college, I lived with a roommate who was a great cook of all things sweet! She could make rice pudding like no other. I fell in love with rice pudding. I use the recipe from the Lion House Cookbook. I always double the recipe! And you can use whatever rice you like. I have used all different sorts.

Rice Pudding

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups milk
1 small can (5oz) evaporated milk
1 Tb cornstarch
1/4 tea salt
1/2 cup plus 2 Tb sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/8 tea nutmeg
1/8 tea cinnamon
1 tea vanilla

Scald milks together.  In heavy pan mix cornstarch, salt, and sugar. Mix well. Stir in milk and heat til thick. Add rice and reheat to full boil. Temper eggs with some of rice mixture. Add eggs to the rice and stir until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in spices and vanilla. Chill.

I never chill because I have to eat it right away. I prefer it warm. We eat it for breakfast for days after!! MMM I am impatient when adding the eggs and usually end up with a tad scrambled eggs...so I just spoon them out.

Enjoy

Comments