Corned Beef Hash full of memories


About twice a year I make corned beef and cabbage. It reminds me of my grandmother. She would make corned beef in a crock pot with a can of beer and it was the best dinner ever. She always had meat, potato, a couple of veggies, and always a bread. She had this yellow basket that was at every meal with bread in it. And my grandmothers pie was the best!! She would always have apple and in the summer strawberry pie with fresh strawberries from the garden. I love my grandma. I still remember it.

With the leftovers, I like to make corned beef hash. My moms signature dish, in my mind is hash. We lived on hash..everything but the kitchen sink leftover hash. It was cheap and easy. I bet my brother, Rob, would say my mom's signature dish is shepard's pie but it is hash.

Corned Beef Hash
The Good Enough to Eat Breakfast Cookbook-with my changes

Ingredients:
2 lbs potatoes, diced after cooked- while potatoes cook preheat oven to 500 degrees.
1 tea salt
4 Tb butter
1/2 tea pepper
1 1/2 tea paprika
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup corned beef, cubed

Directions:
In cast iron skillet (must be cast iron!) melt butter with salt, pepper, and paprika over high heat. When the butter starts to brown add the veggies. Stir till brown. Add potatoes and stir to coat. Add corned beef. If there is sticking add a tad water. Place in oven for 10 minutes and bake 500 degrees until a little crunchy.

Great with a good ol southern biscuit!!

Comments