My Dinner Meets the Virginia Pineapple Legend


The Legend of the Pineapple

When we went to Williamsburg our guide told us the amazing stories of colonists coming home from foreign places. They arrived with gifts but more importantly...stories. To let people know that they were home and available to tell the tales, the returning colonists would spear a pineapple and place it at the entrance to their home. These pineapples would say, "Welcome...come on in for a visit!" It was also a sign that the travelers were home safely from sea.

Over time colonial businesses started using the pineapple as a symbol of hospitality. The pineapple can be seen carved from wood or shaped from pewter...anything goes. It can be found on flatware, bedposts....really anywhere.

Where I have seen it all my days here in Virginia is down the street from my apartment. I always gazed at the pineapple set so prominently at the top of beautiful brick stairs as I pass by. Five years now I have rubbernecked and loved that pineapple. It is only now that we are leaving for the west that I found the courage to go up to the door and ask if I might take the pictures you see.

This house, like those in colonial days, was full of warmth and friendship. Truly the pineapple symbol is one of hospitality.

Chili Mac

Made in memory of my papa who always ate noodles and tomatoes. I love this stuff.


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 sweet Italian links
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic
  • 2 Tb tomato paste
  • 1 1/2 chili powder
  • 1 tea paprika
  • 1/2 tea oregano
  • 1 can diced tomato
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • 1 bag cooked noodles


Brown beef and sausage. Add onion and garlic. When beef is brown add all other ingredients except noodles and cheese. Add those last or separate if you have picky eaters like I do. I like it all mixed up together in one big jumble.



Comments

Amy said…
Is that Mrs. Arthur's house?
Amy,
Tricky question...I never like to give anything away that will identify a specific address...or person. Don't you love that pineapple?!?!
Sarah said…
Love the Pineapple welcome tradition.
Vicki said…
How interesting! I love pineapple carved bed posts.
Amy said…
I love Mrs. Arthur and that pineapple.