Braised Brussel Sprouts

Another winning recipe from Mary at One Perfect Bite. You can find the recipe and her wonderful post here.

I used:
  • frozen brussel spouts
  • craisins
  • bacon
  • bacon fat instead of olive oil
  • chicken broth
Aren't brussel spouts one of those things that you either hate or love. There really is no grey area on this veggie. I personally hate them. Every year they are a tradition at our Thanksgiving table. Therefore, I have wanted to find a recipe that helps make them edible. I mean if they are going to be at the holiday table then they need to be the best they can be. This recipe is excellent. Thanks Mary.

Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Golden Raisins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, courtesy of Ina Garten

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 ounces bacon diced
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half (or frozen)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
1 (14.5-oz.) can reduced sodium chicken broth

Directions:
1) Heat olive oil in a large (12-inch) skillet. Add bacon and saute until fat is rendered and bacon is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper toweling to drain.
2) Add Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper to skillet and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add raisins and chicken stock. Lower heat and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes. Return bacon to pan and heat through. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Yield: 8 servings.

Comments

NancyB said…
Have you tried one of the roasted brussels sprouts recipes? They've converted my sister-in-law to a br. sprouts eater, if not a fan. Something about the carmelizing mutes that flavor she dislikes. She'll also eat the ones I do in a pan, which is much faster than the over-roasting.
Oven roasting: http://www.alwaysorderdessert.com/2009/11/5-quick-easy-thanksgiving-side-dishes.html (but I slightly pre-cook the bacon and add the walnuts towards the end, after having non-crisp bacon and burned nuts on my first attempt)
Pan roasting: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/goldencrusted-brussels-sprouts-recipe.html
Unknown said…
I love roasted, carmelized brussel sprouts. YUM! Thanks for wanting my badge...I don't know what the problem is. Did you copy the code and try to add it to your layout that way? Sometimes when I click on another blog's badge, I get that same message. However, if I keep clicking, I eventually get to the correct page. My badge worked when I added it to my school blog. I will continue to work on it to see what I can determine. Thanks. You are really sweet and flatter me:)
Nancy,
Thanks for the recipe links. I will give those a try. I love trying new things.

Debbie,
Love your profile pic..is that new?? I love the idea of a crockpot day..since I am such a fan of Mable Hoffman.
Amber Walker said…
Ok, but aren't you just a bit biased since you don't really like veggies? I love brussel sprouts!
Vicki said…
I never would have thought of pairing brussel sprouts with craisins. What a great sounding recipe.